It is quite common to experience symptoms and injuries from a car accident days after it initially took place. This is true even for collisions that occurred at a low speed and may have seemed small. That is why you often hear how important it is to see a physician after an accident, even if you think you are OK right afterwards.
Whiplash is a very common injury experience by many drivers and symptoms often don’t appear until 1-2 days after the accident. Prompt evaluation and proper treatment may help you avoid unnecessary suffering, and possibly prevent an injury from becoming a chronic condition.
One common treatment for whiplash and other injuries is massage therapy. Massage therapy can provide the following benefits after an auto accident:
• Stimulate tissue healing (through improved circulation and decreased swelling)
• Reduce muscle spasms and associated pain and stiffness
• Improve scar tissue (by softening stiff tissues to allow blood supply and nutrients back to the affected area)
• Increase joint flexibility (by stretching the skeletal muscles and tissue over and around your joints)
• Lower blood pressure
• Reduce stress and anxiety, including increasing serotonin levels
• Retrain soft tissue to function properly
• Release endorphins (pleasure hormones)
Depending on your injury, and where you are at in the healing process, your physician may consider Swedish relaxation massage, deep tissue massage, trigger point therapy, myofascial release, or manual traction.
If you would like a reference to a trusted and reliable massage therapist, please feel free reach out to our office where we will be happy to refer you to one of our many trusted and friendly massage therapist colleagues.